Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Scaramouche sat on my floor for a long time before I picked it up. I contemplated taking the book back to the library a few times, but something told me to give it a try. I am actually glad I did, and that I stuck with it until the end.

The novel involves a lot of political history, and French political history at that, but I learned a lot despite the dryness. The main character, Andre-Louis, or Scaramouche as he is later called, incites some mobs to action and help to tip off the French Revolution. Then he has to flee for his life, so he takes refuge in a band of traveling actors. Unfortunately, he causes another riot, so he has to flee again, this time resurfacing as a fencing instructor. There are threads of romance, revenge, chivalry, and politics woven throughout, with enough plot twists to keep things interesting.

The characters are engaging, despite being French. I take issue with the French. I think they're success-challenged. History backs me up on this. But it was a good story nonetheless.

No comments: