Thursday, September 15, 2005

Daisy Miller by Henry James

Let me tell you a quick story. I was working at a summer camp, and just as I was sitting down to lunch, my cell phone rang. It was my mom, calling to inform me that I would not be able to return to my charter school because apparently I had amassed too many credits and should have graduated the previous June. School started in two weeks. Unwilling to graduate fully two years early, I assured my mom I would go to the local high school and finish my senior year there.

Well, I signed up a week before the first day of school for two AP English classes, which I could do because I'd never taken them before. I had five books to read, a college to visit, a play to see and seven essays to write. Desirous to see out my camp job to the end, I dutifully set to work during my breaks. A few days later, I broke my ankle.

When school started, I was on crutches, but I had completed every single summer assignment. Besides Daisy Miller, I had read Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Sun Also Rises, The Crucible, and Brave New World for the second time.

All this is to say I hated Daisy Miller. Its only redeeming feature was its brevity- short and sweet. Well, not particularly sweet, but certainly short. Daisy is a flirt, society does not approve of her, her imprudence gets the better of her, and she dies. How sad. My tears are palpable. Really.

No comments: