Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Heart of Darkness is a meandering account of a seaman sent to the depths of the African jungle to retrieve an ill ivory agent who is revered throughout the area for his diplomatic and oratorical abilities. This thin plot is buried beneath layers of symbolism and indiscernible language. Conrad's ultimate conclusion involves the depravity of the human heart, although whether he effectively made his point I cannot determine.

Everything is sketched out so lightly the story is hard to own. Kurtz is the amazing agent who has commandeered the ivory trade in colonial Africa, but his engaging personality is told to the reader rather than shown, and his corrupted nature is barely hinted at. I suppose I am a product of an overstimulated culture that reiterates points over and over to the point of ridiculousness, and I just am not subtle enough to pick up on the genius of Conrad. Oh well. My loss, I'm sure.

No comments: