Saturday, April 30, 2005

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

I watched the excellent movie with Colin Firth first and read the book second, but I don't think that hampered my enjoyment. Rather, I think that enhanced it. I found the movie hilarious, and I know seeing the lines acted out made the text of the play come alive when I perused it afterwards. This play was truly funny, completely ridiculous and sardonic, with bits of wit interspersed in the craziness.

Jack leads a double life, posing as wild "Ernest" in the city, while continuing his sober life as "Jack" in the country. His friend Algy catches on, and jumps into his country life as Ernest himself. Algy, as Ernest, woos Jack's ward Cecily, while the woman Jack wooed as Ernest comes to find him. Hilarities ensue. Wilde was an incredibly funny man.

No comments: