Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

This second time around, I feel like I actually got the book. The first time I read it, I was rather sidetracked by the content issues, but was able to access some sympathy for Holden Caulfield and his disillusionment. I impulsively bought my sister a copy for her birthday, and later decided I should reread it to find out what exactly compelled me to do so.

I was surprised to discover what an excellent character Holden Caulfield truly is. An English teacher of mine, whom I didn't particularly like (I had, through serendipitous events, two English classes at the time, and while one teacher adorned every essay I wrote for him with glowing inked praise, this other one rarely gave me perfect rubric scores and, though constructive I'm sure she tried to be, criticized my writing quite often), once dismissed him as "annoying" and "whiny," but I found his dissatisfaction with life and the status quo entirely understandable. He is veritably drowning in "phonies," as he terms them, poseurs attempting a facade of normal, sane existence who in fact alternate between degeneracy, immorality, deceit, narcissism, and greed. Holden, while by no means without faults, refuses to be party to their pretences.

He is actually a terribly compassionate, thinking boy. Holden reads, engagingly and well. Moreover, he mulls over books at length afterwards. He also feels deeply the discomfort of others, whether it be some dowdy tourist women, his poor roommate, or two traveling nuns. The mundane tragedies of daily life are not lost on him. They move him in a manner his unfeeling compatriots cannot or care not to comprehend. It's no wonder then, that such a sensitive boy would retreat from the pretension, the peeling veneer of geniality, the utter "phoniness" of the miniature universe of prep school.

Holden's attitude towards religion and, in an interesting parallel, girls also, is troubling, complex, and yet, approaching healthy. Of ministers Holden is wary, for their obviously put-on preaching voices make him doubt their sincerity. He fancies himself an atheist, but harbors a regard for Jesus. If someone could just sit him down and explain it all to him...

As for girls, Holden is controlled almost entirely by his physical inclinations. Still, he desires not to take advantage of them, and realizes that his most meaningful relationship with a girl involved almost no physical contact at all. Holden is altogether in transition, navigating, almost directionless, the end of adolescence towards adulthood. His deep pity for mankind keeps him afloat. He's missing, of course, a satisfactory answer for existence, and this might be the root of his inability to cope with the world around him.

I guess this is what I wanted my sister to experience- Holden's frustrations and disillusionment, the common ground that scores of teenagers have identified with. After all, she's had her share of "phonies."

7 comments:

lisa d said...

i love how he loves his sister. (phoebe, right?) even though he's kind of unstable, and unsure of some things, he knows that you'd just love her if you met her.

salinger books have been a staple in my gift-giving past. have you read any of his other work?

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

I think the conversation between Holden and his professor early on in the book

"A look like he had just beaten the hell out of me in ping pong..."

is one of the best, if somewhat forced, sequences in any book I'd ever read.

Not finishing the book after that was nearly impossible.

As for Salinger: "for esme with love and squalor" has stuck with me in some very, very profound ways.
A short story, but possibly the best few pages of lit I've ever read and re-read.

barefootkangaroo said...

One of my favorite books, but I hadn't given it as much as thought as you obviously have. I agree with all of your insights though. It is truly a book of rare quality.

Kaitlin said...

I've also read "Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenters and Seymour, An Introduction." Same excellent prose, but altogether rather inconclusive I thought.

Kaitlin said...

"For Esme with love and squalor"- I've never read it, but it stuck with Lemony Snicket too; he used it in the Series of Unfortunate Events as one of those esoteric allusions that made those books so good. I'll have to find a copy of it...

Kelly Visel said...

I'm glad you gave Holden Caulfield a second chance. I remember enjoying his take on the world, and his resistance to the "phonies." Perhaps it had something to do with attending Hemet High at the time I read this; I felt like I could relate to his frustrations with those around him.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone else can appreciate the complexities of this book, my friends never truly got the social criticism
I had never really connected the existential struggle with this piece of literature until I read your view but it stems from what I find the most powerful aspect of the work, the post-modern social criticism..
I wish more books would be as blunt if not even more blunt int their criticism of this part of society...which is still very much alive I'm afraid

--the midnight patron