Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams

Once again, my frustration with the stage medium hindered my experience. I simply cannot read a play silently and enjoy it. The Glass Menagerie was short enough for me to complete during one of my sisters' basketball games, and I think the game alone would have been more engaging, which is saying a lot, because I abhor organized sports.

A young man narrates an account of an evening with his mother, sister, and friend from work. The mother has been contriving to get her delicate, homebound daughter a boyfriend, and she finally gets her son to take a friend home for dinner to meet her. The unaware friend talks with the young girl for an evening, capturing her emotions, before mentioning that he is engaged to another. He leaves, and the girl is heartbroken.

The storyline was pathetic and sad, but I am sure that is what Williams was going for. From what I have read, the play was based on Williams' relationship with his sister. How sad that these characters existed in real life. I could hardly stand to encounter them on the printed page.

No comments: