Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Surprisingly, Lord of the Flies was not quite as violent and sick as I expected it to be. I'd heard it was nausea-inducing. But, I mean, only two kids died.

That last comment would be a joke. I promise, I'm pro-life. In every sense of the phrase.

Anyways, Golding was a rather well-paced storyteller. The action meandered some, but not too much. The symbolism was somewhat oppressive, but I suppose it is all part and parcel of such a study of the human condition.

I enjoyed the character of Simon. Rational prophet-types are always fun.

I believe I caught the author's drift- we're all just a plane crash away from complete barbarism. It is a fascinating point to make, and one I would adhere to, for its biblical elements if nothing else. If man is, in fact, inherently sinful, then of course taking him out of society, a policed environment, would allow his true nature to show through. Well done, Golding.

No comments: