Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

I once came across a Christian website entitled, "The Phantom Tollbooth." Naturally, my curiousity was piqued. Assuming it had something to do with the Phantom of the Opera, I dismissed the subject until I encountered this book.

After catching the title in The Thomas Jefferson Education, an instructional manual showing homeschoolers how to educate with a literature-based curriculum, I decided The Phantom Tollbooth would be worth my while.

Altogether, I think I missed the age window of maximum enjoyment. I believe I am actually too old for something. The adventure happened far too quickly, and I think my marathon period-romance efforts have conditioned me to expect scores of pages before the pace picks up. The Tollbooth was a moderately witty book, but the real wit gets lost in synthetic witticisms that feel like imitations of the truly funny stuff.

I didn't feel as if I got to know the characters. We parted ways before any friendship could be established. Nevertheless, it was a great concept. Perhaps for younger readers who might pick it up, it will seem extraordinary and new. For me, I kept thinking I'd read something just like it before. Still, I can imagine a younger me thinking I'd stumbled onto some wonderfully original story.

Truly, there is a need for witty writing in children's literature. The Tollbooth might help to fill the void, but I cannot really say, for I am no longer the target demographic.

No comments: